Userful™ Troubleshooting Guide
Copyright © 2016 . All rights reserved.
To return to the main documentation page, Click Here.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Hardware Related Issues
- 2.1 Capture Cards
- 2.2 Zero Clients Troubleshooting
This document presents solutions to the most commonly encountered troubleshooting tasks. For a comprehensive list of troubleshooting tips, please visit http://support.userful.com.
Identify the Issue
If you know what component of your system is causing an issue, please refer to that software or hardware's documentation for help and support, else follow the necessary steps depending on the issues.
Hardware Related Issues
This section outlines the solution to the common problems encountered while using Capture Cards.
Blackmagic Card not detected in the Control Center
- Ensure that the firmware is updated.
- Open terminal and at the command line type in the following command (sudo or root privileges are required through out the procedure) and reboot the system:
$ sudo BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater update 0
- Ensure that the driver is installed via Control Center > System Operations > Additional Packages and Software and the system is rebooted after all the updates.
Color Bars when launching the station or video wall
Verify that the correct device is selected while creating the session container, or the input device is plugged into the correct port on the capture card.
Unable to play external media devices on Userful host
- Install a Supported Capture Card on Userful host and plug the device to the capture card, if the content is not HDCP-encrypted, then configure the session container to play the content. OR
- Connect the external media player to the Supported Capture Card on the Userful host via HDMI splitters/ HDMI switches for capturing HDCP-encrypted content, then configure the session container to play the content.
Note: HDMI splitters/ HDMI switches aren't officially HDCP compliant but in many cases can allow playback of HDCP-encrypted content on non-compliant devices.
Black Screen(s) when launching the stations or video wall
- Verify that the color space of the capture source is correct for your card. Please see Supported Capture Cards for details, if in doubt use YUV or YCbCr, or
- Non-Standard Resolutions not supported
- If the source you're trying to capture is a laptop or PC and your display is a non-standard resolution, duplicating its screen to the capture card would not work. Resolutions such as 1366x768 or 1600x900 are not supported. To fix this:
- in Windows (set your desktop to Extended)
- in Linux and Mac systems (just uncheck the mirror displays option in the Display Settings)
- This will enable your laptop to correctly detect the display resolution from the capture card.
Zero Clients Troubleshooting
Network zero client(s) show instability
If one or more network zero clients freezes or drops its session:
- Ensure that the network zero client device(s) are set to static IPs and are isolated from other traffic as much as possible using separate switching hardware.
- Ensure all zero clients have updated firmware
For more details visit Managing Network Stations.
Blue LED on the device does not turn on
- Check the power source of the device.
- Check the connection to the outlet and power adapter.
- Ensure that the blue LED is not burnt out.
The device does not turn on after plugging to the switch
- Connect the same device on a different port on the switch where another device was working properly, or
- Connect another device that is working properly to the same power adapter.
USB zero client device(s) show instability
If USB zero clients drops or freezes:
- Ensure that USB zero client devices are connected to the USB 2.0 ports and use high-quality USB 2.0 compliant cables, and
- Do the physical reset of the USB zero client device