Userful Multiplatform 7.1: Release Notes
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Features
- 3 License Agreement
- 4 Trial Version
- 5 Language Support
- 6 What's New
- 7 Known Issues
- 7.1 Disconnecting the Power Supply from USB zero-client devices may cause system freeze
- 7.2 After initial System Setup ('firstboot'), the numlock key appears enabled but is not
- 7.3 Setting larger resolution in Windows VM displays part of windows session
- 7.4 Network disruptions on VM may lead to unstable OnBoard and VM station
- 7.5 Disrupted display due to driver issues
- 7.6 Commercial DVD playback not supported
- 7.7 USB Storage Devices with Multiple Partitions Not Supported for use with VM Stations
- 7.8 Stations mapped to Media player profile may freeze while playing videos
- 7.9 Color Distortions on Haswell Systems
- 7.10 UCC System Updates can get stuck with bad cache; no way to clear cache in GUI
- 7.11 VDI: Removing a Master VM using VirtualBox GUI really confuses VDI system
- 7.12 USB Zero-clients running VDI on USB 3.0 Host ports may fail to display
- 7.13 Ctrl+Alt+Backspace sometimes ignored -- doesn't always reset the station
- 7.14 After resyncing a Master VM, some clones may not be created on station startup
- 7.15 VDI - usb VM stations will no longer have audio after hotplugging
- 7.16 Web browser profiles that load too fast may not start with audio
- 7.17 Network Manager applet may not always be available
- 7.18 DPMS on Phistek TouchScreen monitors cannot resume via touch
- 7.19 Cannot login to Control Center too soon after system bootup
- 7.20 Sound on RDesktop session is too quite and can't be increased
- 7.21 Drag and drop functionality does not work on smart device
Userful MultiPlatform™ is a complete operating system, based on CentOS (see www.centos.org for details) that includes software that extends Linux to support several fully independent and concurrent workstations using a single computer box. This is accomplished by adding video devices (either video card zero clients, USB zero client devices or network zero client devices, keyboards and mice to a single host PC and installing Userful Multiplatform™.
Release Date: May 30, 2014
Component Package Versions
- Userful MultiSeat: 7.0-8654.9.release.multiplatform_7.1.ea0aa10
- EST Driver: 0.9.8-1dkms.userful1.x86_64
- SMSC Driver: 1.3.9-0_g1a15f47.el6.x86_64
- DisplayLink Driver: 1.4.1-0_g715cfbc.el6.x86_64
- Bundled with CentOS 6.4 (with Xorg 1.13.0-11.1.el6 and kernel version 2.6.32-431.el6.userful3.1.x86_64)
Userful MultiPlatform™ provides:
- A stable, versatile base operating sytem (CentOS).
- Full multimedia support
- Multiseat capability based on video cards, USB zero client devices or network zero client devices.
- Improved system and station management user interfaces.
- Enhanced system stability.
- Install DVD (64bit OS), Browser, office suite, productivity tools, and one-click easy install of thousands of free software applications for a range of business, educational and other uses.
- Local Desktops: Win7, WinXP, Win8, Linux, Cloud (Chrome browser desktop)
- Session Launcher
- Media playback
- A unified browser-accessible control center is provided that provides full administration capabilities including:
- Station Mapping
- Assign / release network stations
- Enable / Disable / rename stations
- Set monitor resolution and color depth (individual & system wide)
- Integrated help & support
- Remote access
- System Updates
- Shared Storage Management
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure support, with simple and intuitive management of virtual machines (including VM import)
- Change keyboard layout
This product includes commercial software that is licensed, not sold, and is governed by an End User License Agreement (EULA). By installing, copying or using this software you acknowledge that you have read and understand this Agreement, and agree to be bound by this EULA's terms and conditions. You can review the terms of this EULA either by visiting the online copy of the EULA or by consulting the Userful-EULA.txt file included with your download.
Userful Multiplatform™ will operate as a trial version until you purchase an appropriate license for your system. You may purchase a multi-station license from your Userful representative or from Userful.com – see the Licensing Guide for details.
Limitations of Trial Version: The Userful Multiplatform trial software supports is fully functional, but will display a brief license reminder on all attached screens every 10 minutes or so.
This release has not been fully translated and new features are available only in English.
Remaining features are translated into:
- English (en)
- French (fr)
- Italian (it)
- German (de)
- Spanish (es)
- Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR) †
- Russian (ru)
- Turkish (tr)
- Japanese (ja) ‡
- Traditional Chinese (zh_TW) ‡
- Simplified Chinese (zh_CN) ‡
- Korean (ko) ‡
- Vietnamese (vi)
- Romanian (ro)
|† The language selected must be specifically "Brazilian Portuguese"; if simply "Portuguese" is selected as a system or session language, then all Userful user interface strings will be in English.|
Here are some of the highlights of this new version:
- Improved Remote Desktop Support
- Integrated support for Windows Remote Desktop Services that will enable more Windows desktops off one host PC, and utilize a less expensive Microsoft licensing model
- Improved Control Center user experience
- Control Center (web-based management interface) is now translated into 2 additional languages (14 total)
- System Diagnostics utility for quickly resolving common issues
- Remote Access VPN for selectively allowing Userful Support direct access to your host PC
- Ability to selectively auto-launch station profiles -- ideal for Kiosk/Signage applications
- Display Power Management Signalling (DPMS) to save energy by turning off idle monitors
- Display Support Beyond Desktops
- Support for 36 international keyboard layouts
- Support for IME keyboard input switching
- Support for a broad variety USB touch screens
- Select Interactive white-board support
- Create playlists of multimedia files and image slideshows (.png, .jpg) under signage player
- Auto-launch full-screen HTML5 dynamic display using signage player
Following are the known issues with Userful Multiplatform 7.1 release.
Disconnecting the Power Supply from USB zero-client devices may cause system freeze
When the external power to a USB multiseat device is disconnected, the internal USB hub(s) in the device briefly goes offline to switch from external power to bus power supply. The system kernel may freeze as it attempts to register a "new" device on the same path as the "old" device (which has not yet been removed from the USB tree).
To avoid this situation, if it is necessary to remove the external power supply to a USB multiseat device, disconnect the USB cable first.
After initial System Setup ('firstboot'), the numlock key appears enabled but is not
When Userful Multiplatform is installed, the system is rebooted and then further configuration and setup is needed before the system can be used; this process is called 'firstboot'. After firstboot configuration, when the system comes up, the Numlock key appears to be enabled (that is, the keyboard LED is lit) but Numlock is actually off. The workaround is to toggle the Numlock key until the keyboard LED indicates the correct state of the Numlock key.
Setting larger resolution in Windows VM displays part of windows session
When screen resolution for a VM station is changed from 1024*768 to 1280*968 , the station will display only part of the Windows Desktop.The workaround is to restart VM by pressing 'Ctrl+Alt+Backspace'.
Network disruptions on VM may lead to unstable OnBoard and VM station
Any kind of network disruptions can make onBoard and VM station unstable (probably frozen).The workaround would be to check the network cables , reboot the system.
Disrupted display due to driver issues
Sometimes due to driver issue, the display is disrupted.Pressing Ctrl+Alt+BS would fix .
Commercial DVD playback not supported
Commercial DVDs playback is not supported.The workaround is to install vlc and libdvdcss packages and then play the DVD.
USB Storage Devices with Multiple Partitions Not Supported for use with VM Stations
USB storage devices with multiple partitions do not work properly when plugged into VM station, works well with one partition.
Stations mapped to Media player profile may freeze while playing videos
Due to EST driver, stations mapped to Media player profile playing youtube videos may freeze. There is no workaround at this time and would be fixed with future release.
Color Distortions on Haswell Systems
Setting onboard station's color depth 16bit results in color distortion on Haswell systems. Rebooting the Host PC resolves it.
UCC System Updates can get stuck with bad cache; no way to clear cache in GUI
If an update is requested while the central repository is being updated, it is possible for a host PC to be stuck with a bad cache. The symptom is a UCC stuck trying to update the same package repeatedly, never being able to. Workaround is to wait 6 hours for the cache to expire, or open terminal and run this command as root: "yum clean all"
VDI: Removing a Master VM using VirtualBox GUI really confuses VDI system
If you delete a Master VM via VirtualBox Manager after activating stations on a VDI profile, the clones may become confused. If this occurs, delete all the orphaned clones manually, and reimport the Master VM.
USB Zero-clients running VDI on USB 3.0 Host ports may fail to display
Rarely, USB zero-client devices running VDI on USB 3.0 ports may fail and display black screens. There is no workaround at this time and would be fixed with future release.
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace sometimes ignored -- doesn't always reset the station
Normally, Ctrl+Alt+Backspace should be used to soft-reset station and reset its profile. Sometimes this keystroke is not honoured, yet the station responds normally. Workaround is to cycle the zero-client station's power.
After resyncing a Master VM, some clones may not be created on station startup
Rarely, after resyncing Master VM, clones amy not be created on startup. The workaround is to restart the station and the missing clones will be created normally.
VDI - usb VM stations will no longer have audio after hotplugging
To overcome this problem, restart the station and audio should resume automatically.
Web browser profiles that load too fast may not start with audio
Workaround: Do not play audio immediately after page load; delay the playback of any audio for 1 second after the page loads.
Network Manager applet may not always be available
To access Network Manager utility, open the Linux Desktop, select System > Preferences > Network Connections.
DPMS on Phistek TouchScreen monitors cannot resume via touch
The workaround is to connect a keyboard or mouse to the zero-client station and resume the monitor.
Cannot login to Control Center too soon after system bootup
To overcome this problem, wait a few more seconds after system bootup, then login to Control Center.
Sound on RDesktop session is too quite and can't be increased
There is no workaround at the moment.
Drag and drop functionality does not work on smart device
At present, Control Center > Station Mapping "drag and drop station" functionality is not working on smart devices.