Userful Multiplatform 6.0: Release Notes
DisplayLink® is a registered trademark of DisplayLink Corporation.
MCT™ is a trademark of Magic Control Technology Corporation.
SMSC® is a registered trademark of Standard Microsystems Corporation.
EST® is a registered trademark of Elite Silicon Technology.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Features
- 3 License Agreement
- 4 Trial Version
- 5 Language Support
- 6 Known Issues For Userful Multiplatform 6.0
- 6.1 The Links to Documentation in the Userful Control Center Are Obsolete and Need to be Updated
- 6.2 Virtual Machines Cannot be Re-synced Through the Userful Control Center
- 6.3 PS/2 Input Device on Host System Are Disabled After First Boot Configuration
- 6.4 The Userful System Tray does not Clear the "Play" Option When a Video DVD is Removed
- 6.5 The Install DVD Does not Automatically Eject After Completed Installation
- 6.6 Adding a New Network Station Resets Assigned Station Names/Locations
- 6.7 Stationary Mouse Pointer "Disappears" on Host Station
- 6.8 Disconnecting the Power Supply from USB Multiseat Devices May Cause System Freezes
- 6.9 DVD Playback on Certain Hardware Fails
- 6.10 Temporary Screen Corruption After Changing Resolutions
- 6.11 Command Line Restart/Poweroff/Eject/Halt Allowed by Non-Root Users
- 6.12 USB 3 Ports Unsupported for Use with USB-connected Multiseat Devices and CentOS
- 6.13 After Initial System Setup ('firstboot'), the Numlock Key Appears Enabled But Is Not
- 6.14 Setting larger resolution in Windows VM displays part of windows session
- 6.15 Adding/Removing USB storage keys on VDI Stations cause USB stack corruption
- 6.16 Audio CD not showing up in System Tray
- 6.17 T200 station mapped to Windows will load the Linux login for few seconds before starting the VM
- 6.18 "Show Station ID" show 6 instead of 1 for OnBoard Station
- 6.19 System Performance is Enhanced by Availability of DNS Services
- 6.20 Userful Control Center Should Not be Viewed at Low Resolution
- 6.21 Unable to mount USB Storage Devices with Non-Alphanumeric name
- 6.22 Network disruptions on VM may lead to unstable OnBoard and VM station
- 6.23 Black Box Around Cursor on Onboard/Video Card Station During Video Playback Using Xv Video Output
- 6.24 Stations randomly drop mouse
- 6.25 Disrupted display due to driver issues
- 6.26 Web Browser session will load multiple tabs at the same time
- 6.27 Network Stations mapped to Firefox Web Browser will not have sound
- 6.28 Manually quitting a Browser profile may result in the browser not restarting automatically
- 6.29 Network Proxy Configure pop-up will appear occasionally
- 6.30 Commercial DVD playback not supported
Userful MultiPlatform is a complete operating system, based on CentOS (see www.centos.org for details) that includes Userful MultiSeat software and a number of tools and specializations to support MultiSeat.
Userful MultiSeat™ is software that extends Linux to support several fully independent and concurrent workstations using a single computer box. This is accomplished by adding video devices (either video cards, USB zero client devices or network zero client devices), keyboards and mice to a single PC system and installing Userful's software.
Release Date:February 22,2013
Component Package Versions
- Userful MultiSeat: 5.0-6172.0.a9c3103-USERFUL_6.0-64
- EST Driver: 0.7.18-1dkms.userful4.1
- SMSC Driver: 1.1.8-7_gb28cbf3.e16
- DisplayLink Driver: 1.2.2-3_g7738613.e16
- Bundled with CentOS 6 (with Xorg 1.10.6 and kernel version 2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.userful1.x86_64 )
Userful MultiSeat provides:
- Multiseat capability based on video cards, USB zero client devices or network zero client devices.
- Improved system and station management user interfaces.
Userful MultiPlatform provides:
- A stable, versatile base operating sytem (CentOS).
- Full multimedia support.
- Install DVD (64bit OS), Browser, office suite, productivity tools, and one-click easy install of thousands of free software applications for a range of business, educational and other uses.
- Local Desktops: Win7, WinXP, Win8, Linux, Cloud (Chrome browser desktop)
- A unified browser-accessible control center is provided that provides full administration capabilities including:
- View system status
- Assign / release network stations
- Enable / Disable / rename stations
- Set monitor resolution and color depth (individual & system wide)
- Integrated help & support
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure support, with simple and intuitive management of virtual machines.
This product includes commercial software that is licensed, not sold, and is governed by an End User License Agreement (EULA). By installing, copying or using this software you acknowledge that you have read and understand this Agreement, and agree to be bound by this EULA's terms and conditions. You can review the terms of this EULA either by visiting the online copy of the EULA or by consulting the Userful-EULA.txt file included with your download.
Userful MultiSeat will operate as a trial version until you purchase an appropriate license for your Userful system. You may purchase a multi-station license from your Userful representative or from Userful.com – see the Licensing Guide for details.
Limitations of Trial Version: The Userful MultiSeat trial software supports is fully functional, but will display a brief license reminder on all attached screens every 10 minutes or so.
This release has not been fully translated and new features are available only in English.
Remaining features are are translated into:
- English (en)
- French (fr)
- Italian (it)
- German (de)
- Spanish (es)
- Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR) †
- Russian (ru)
- Turkish (tr)
- Japanese (ja) ‡
- Traditional Chinese (zh_TW) ‡
- Simplified Chinese (zh_CN) ‡
- Korean (ko) ‡
|† The language selected must be specifically "Brazilian Portuguese"; if simply "Portuguese" is selected as a system or session language, then all Userful user interface strings will be in English.|
Known Issues For Userful Multiplatform 6.0
These are the known issues with Userful Multiplatform 6.0.
The Links to Documentation in the Userful Control Center Are Obsolete and Need to be Updated
Links to Userful documentation in the Control Center are obsolete; these links will be updated for the final release. In the meantime, please refer to the documentation distributed with this release candidate.
Virtual Machines Cannot be Re-synced Through the Userful Control Center
With this release, virtual machines mapped to VDI stations cannot be re-synced through the Userful Control Center.
PS/2 Input Device on Host System Are Disabled After First Boot Configuration
After installation of Userful Multiplatform, and after completing the first boot configuration, any PS/2 input devices connected directly to the host system (i.e. not connected to a multiseat device) are disabled; a reboot is required to workaround the issue.
The Userful System Tray does not Clear the "Play" Option When a Video DVD is Removed
This is a cosmetic issue. When a video DVD is in the system optical drive, the System Tray shows both "Open" and "Play" options. When the DVD is ejected, the "Open" option is removed, but the "Play" option persists.
The Install DVD Does not Automatically Eject After Completed Installation
When rebooting the system after first installing Userful Multiplatform from the .iso DVD, the DVD should eject automatically, but that is currently not working. The workaround is manually eject the DVD.
Adding a New Network Station Resets Assigned Station Names/Locations
In this release, adding a new network station (i.e., by connecting it to the system) causes the previously saved station names/locations to reset to defaults.
Stationary Mouse Pointer "Disappears" on Host Station
This occurs only on the Host/Onboard station. When the mouse pointer is stationary, it often disappears. It reappears as soon as the mouse is moved.
Disconnecting the Power Supply from USB Multiseat Devices May Cause System Freezes
When the external power to a USB multiseat device is disconnected, the internal USB hub(s) in the device briefly goes offline to switch from external power to bus power supply. The system kernel may freeze as it attempts to register a "new" device on the same path as the "old" device (which has not yet been removed from the USB tree).
To avoid this situation, if it is necessary to remove the external power supply to a USB multiseat device, disconnect the USB cable first.
DVD Playback on Certain Hardware Fails
Some newer model DVD drives are not supported by the Centos operating system and will not work with Userful Multiplatform. This includes, but is not limited to, the HP SATA SuperMulti Drive.
Temporary Screen Corruption After Changing Resolutions
When screen resolution is changed for a logged-in station running on an SMSC-based multiseat device, the screen is often corrupted. The workaround is to either 1) Log out of the session, or use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to end the session and return to the login screen, or 2) only change screen resolutions for stations with no active sessions (i.e. those at the log in screen).
Command Line Restart/Poweroff/Eject/Halt Allowed by Non-Root Users
By default in the CentOS operating system, any user logged into a terminal can execute the reboot, poweroff, eject and halt commands. There may be additional system management commands executable by non-root users, as well.
USB 3 Ports Unsupported for Use with USB-connected Multiseat Devices and CentOS
Currently available USB-connected multiseat devices do not work properly when plugged into USB 3 ports on a system using the CentOS operating system. This may be due to upstream issues with USB 3 and CentOS in general; for example, please see this CentOS bug report.
After Initial System Setup ('firstboot'), the Numlock Key Appears Enabled But Is Not
When Userful Multiplatform is installed, the system is rebooted and then further configuration and setup is needed before the system can be used; this process is called 'firstboot'. After firstboot configuration, when the system comes up, the Numlock key appears to be enabled (that is, the keyboard LED is lit) but Numlock is actually off. The workaround is to toggle the Numlock key until the keyboard LED indicates the correct state of the Numlock key.
Setting larger resolution in Windows VM displays part of windows session
When screen resolution for a VM station is changed from 1024*768 to 1280*968 , the station will display only part of the Windows Desktop.The workaround is to restart VM by pressing 'Ctrl+Alt+Backspace'.
Adding/Removing USB storage keys on VDI Stations cause USB stack corruption
Repeatedly adding /removing USB storage keys from a VDI station cause corrupted USB stack and unstable station. The workaround is to do a full reboot.
Audio CD not showing up in System Tray
System Tray does not recognize inserted Audio CD. User can access Audio CD by going to Computer ->Audio CD ,even without being in cdrom group.
T200 station mapped to Windows will load the Linux login for few seconds before starting the VM
When a station is mapped to VDI profile; occasionally, it loads the Linux login for few seconds before starting the VM.
"Show Station ID" show 6 instead of 1 for OnBoard Station
This is a cosmetic issue.Occasionally,"Show Station ID" feature displays incorrect station id for all stations including onBoard station.
System Performance is Enhanced by Availability of DNS Services
While it is possible to run a UEL system without DNS services (e.g., without a connection to the internet), testing has shown that several system processes are slower in the absence of DNS. Userful software engineers are investigating solutions to allow optimal performance in non-internet connected UEL deployments.
Userful Control Center Should Not be Viewed at Low Resolution
The Userful Control Center is best viewed at resolutions of 1024 x 768 and higher. Lower screen/window resolutions may result in some menu items being inaccessible.
Unable to mount USB Storage Devices with Non-Alphanumeric name
Current version of Multiseat does not support mounting Flash Drives with names other than English.
Network disruptions on VM may lead to unstable OnBoard and VM station
Any kind of network disruptions can make onBoard and VM station unstable (probably frozen).The workaround would be to check the network cables , reboot the system.
Black Box Around Cursor on Onboard/Video Card Station During Video Playback Using Xv Video Output
This issue occurs on the onboard station and any PCI or PCI-e stations only. When video is being played, and the video player is using the Xv video output mode, a black square can be seen around the cursor when the cursor is moving. This is a cosmetic issue only, and seems to be restricted to systems where the onboard graphics is nVIDIA. To workaround this issue, either avoid moving the mouse cursor over a video playback window, or switch to X11 video output.
Stations randomly drop mouse
This occurs only on T200 stations.Sometimes, mouse stop working for few seconds.
Disrupted display due to driver issues
Sometimes due to driver issue ,the display is disrupted.Pressing Ctrl+Alt+BS would fix .
Web Browser session will load multiple tabs at the same time
Sometimes, when mapping stations to a web browser profile, multiple tabs will attempt to load in a session. The workaround for this is to close the tabs, however, 1 in 10 times, this will result in the station becoming non responsive. At this time, pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace will reset the station and resume the Browser session. Alternatively you can remap the station in UCC.
Network Stations mapped to Firefox Web Browser will not have sound
Due to different sound assignment ,network stations mapped to firefox will not have sound.
Manually quitting a Browser profile may result in the browser not restarting automatically
If a browser is quit manually (Ctrl+W) in the browser profile within 5 seconds of initial launch, there is a chance that the browser will not restart automatically and a blank screen will be shown. The workaround is to not quit the browser immediately upon launching it. restarting or remapping the station will recover the session.
Network Proxy Configure pop-up will appear occasionally
Rarely, the Network Proxy Configure pop up will appear during a session. It is safe to dismiss the window.
Commercial DVD playback not supported
Commercial DVDs playback is not supported.The workaround is to install vlc and libdvdcss packages and then play the DVD.