Copyright © 2007-2010 . All rights reserved.
DiscoverStation 4 was released in November 2005, and received updates until August 2007. The final stable version of DiscoverStation 4 was 257-1.
Known Problems Fixed By DiscoverStation 5 and Newer
- Certain internet e-mail sites no longer support Firefox 1.0, as well as Facebook, GMail, and Yahoo Mail.
- Issues with printing very complex PDF files
- Poor integration with Userful Manager - if not on version 257, will not boot properly when there is a new configuration sent from Userful Manager
- Sessions lock up frequently, requiring reboot of system to reset the kiosk-loop
- Issues concerning USB key drives (accidental erasure/corruption due to under-powering)
- Filesystem becomes corrupted, requiring the administrator to log in as root and run:
Should you upgrade?
As the saying goes: "if it's not broken, don't fix it". Some customers require little of their machines, and may not see the issues that more intensely used machines can experience. However, we recommend that you keep your installation discs in a safe location, and if possible have a copy of the newest Userful Desktop product on-hand in case you run into a situation that should require an upgrade. If you would like, simply contact email@example.com with your name and address and they will be happy to send you a copy of the newest release in the mail, free of charge.
Notes before upgrading
For DiscoverStation 5 and higher we highly recommend powered USB hubs on multi-station machines to ensure that adequate power is reaching all USB devices. While it is possible to upgrade without these hubs, you may experience issues concerning USB key drives and floppy drives. If you require any assistance in upgrading, don't hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and location, and our friendly support team will happily assist you.