Network Requirements for Userful™ Appliance
Copyright © 2021 . All rights reserved.
To return to the main documentation page, Click Here.
Note: This page has been updated in our new Support Portal - try it here!
Userful™ Appliance Network Requirements
The Userful™ Appliance controls it's own firewall using Linux iptables. It has many network services that can be seen from a network scan, including:
- TCP/22 SSH
- TCP/80 HTTP
- TCP/5353 Avahi/Zeroconf
- TCP/9000 Userful Control Center web portal
- TCP/21 FTP Server (optional)
- TCP/UDP 137-139, 445 Samba Server for Windows File Sharing (optional, not enabled by default)
- TCP/UDP 631 CUPS web interface for managing printing (not enabled by default, requires configuration)
- And others required for full functionality of the system
The Userful Appliance assumes unfiltered access to the LAN/VLAN in which the receiver devices reside. The Userful server communicates with receiver devices across a range of TCP and UDP ports. We recommend that the isolated LAN/VLAN for the receiver devices be configured to not block internal communication on any port.
The following optional services communicate with the Userful server(s) over the Internet when available:
- Userful Cloud Service: The Userful server communicates with the Userful cloud service via port 443
- Userful Support VPN: The Userful server communicates with the Userful VPN via port 443
- TURN server: may be used when copying files via the Userful cloud or accessing the web-cam monitoring feature via TCP and UDP port 3478
These connections are initiated entirely as outbound communication. Typically no changes to the local network are required for these to work (as most networks allow outbound secure web connections port 443 used by web-browsers for secure https connections to websites). In some circumstances, highly locked-down networks may prevent communication with these optional remote connectivity services. These services (or an Internet connection) are not required for operation of the Userful system, but do make management monitoring and maintenance much easier. If you are in one of these highly locked-down networks you can choose either to operate without these extra services or to permit your Userful server(s) to access the Internet on port 443 (HTTPS).
In order for Userful to be able to download and install the latest software updates, the server(s) should have full access to the userful.com and umirror2.com domains.
Updates are downloaded via HTTP.