Userful™ 8.8: Release Notes
To return to the main documentation page, Click Here.
Userful™ is a converged software appliance (operating system and application software bundled together for easy deployment and maintenance) for AV & IT professionals that lets you centrally control large numbers of displays, content sources and desktops from your web browser. Userful's appliance enables an ordinary PC to do extraordinary things, like driving a whole building of desktops, digital signage, touch screens, virtual machines and video walls all from a single Userful host over a standard Ethernet network. From high-performance video walls, to virtual desktops, to Power-over-Ethernet touch screens -- it's never been easier.
- Stable, versatile Linux-base operating system (CentOS 7.2)
- Unified browser-accessible Control Center
- Session Launcher
- Media playback
- Ability to preset video wall zones
- GPU-Assisted Decoding of video playback and interactive content
- GPU-Assisted Acceleration for 3D rendering – vastly improved performance for dynamic content (HTML5, WebGL, and Flash)
- Intuitive browser-based Layout Manager with the bezel correction ability
- Integrated color calibration for color correcting video wall displays
- Support for Artistic Video Wall layouts that can be configured using a free layout of display position and rotation (including an intuitive browser-based drag and drop GUI for positioning and any degree rotating displays)
- Support for wide range of interactive video walls including Cloud desktop, Linux desktop and touch screen Kiosks
- Integrated various Content Management System (CMS) to create and schedule the signage content (Dynamic HTML5 pages, presentations, tickers, widgets (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, and RSS feeds)
- Support Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) to broadcast security camera or conference feeds on video wall
- Support Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) for delivering content over IP network.
- Support for variety of Capture Cards (Blackmagic Design and YUAN line of capture cards)
- Support for much broader range of PC hardware and touch screens
Userful™ 8.8 comes with exciting new features and improvements, including:
New Hardware Support
- Certified Intel® Core i3 and Core i5 "Skylake" PCs for small video wall deployments. Please see our list of certified PCs for more details
- Added Preset Station Mapping feature that allows user to launch variety of preset settings (i.e station mapping configuration) from any device
- Redesigned the Preset Remote Control mobile application
- Added Session Management allowing administrators to define various settings related to use of a particular session (including login method, usage agreement, inactivity logout and session length).
Video Wall Enhancements
- Added Intel® GPU Offload for 6th generation Core i3 and Core i5 PCs for the low-cost video wall deployments
- Added UI option to edit Rotation Offset while configuring artistic video walls
- Added experimental support for 100 displays from one Userful host, please contact your Userful sales representative for more details
- Added functionality to play zones with overlapping stations simultaneously
Control Center UI improvements
- Restructured Display scaling and Nvidia Offload Card options under Control Center > System Operations > Performance Settings
- Added Nepali (ne) language support
- Updated non-English language translations
- Improved UI to include Zone names on the top of video wall icon under Station Mapping
- Added GUI option to crop the captured external device under Blackmagic DeckLink Capture and Video Capture session container
- Optimized switching of content and zones (reduced switching time from many seconds down to a fraction of a second)
- Added Direct Sync support for non-Nvidia systems
- Updated Blackmagic DeckLink driver to support the latest Blackmagic DeckLink capture cards.
- General stability improvements
- Integrated Beabloo Player CMS session container
Miscellaneous new features, GUI improvements and bug fixes. For a comprehensive list see the changelog
This product includes commercial software that is licensed, not sold, and is governed by an End User License Agreement (EULA). By installing, copying or using this software you acknowledge that you have read and understand this Agreement, and agree to be bound by this EULA's terms and conditions. The EULA terms can be viewed online or from the file included in your download.
Userful™ will operate as a trial version until you purchase an appropriate license for your system. You may purchase the license from your Userful representative or from Userful.com – see the Licensing Guide for details.
Limitations of Trial Version: The Userful™ trial software is fully functional, but will display a brief license reminder on all attached displays every 10 minutes or so. Customers who are considering buying the software and are presently evaluating it can do so in the trial mode. Such customers will receive limited technical support lasting up to 30 days after which an appropriate license should be purchased. For more details, check our licensing guide.
All features of Userful™ 8.8 are translated in following languages:
- English (en)
- French (fr)
- Italian (it)
- German (de)
- Spanish (es)
- Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR) †
- Russian (ru)
- Turkish (tr)
- Japanese (ja)
- Traditional Chinese (zh_TW)
- Simplified Chinese (zh_CN)
- Korean (ko)
- Romanian (ro)
- Persian (fa)
- Ukranian (uk_UA)
- Thai (th_TH)
- Nepali (ne)
|† The language selected must be specifically "Brazilian Portuguese"; if simply "Portuguese" is selected as a system or session language, then all Userful user interface strings will be in English.|