Copyright © 2007-2010 . All rights reserved.
Q: What if my print job doesn't print out?
- Also answered by this FAQ:
- My printer was working before, what's wrong with my printer now?
A: There are different possible reasons.
There are various possible reasons that may cause problems with printing. Here are the most common ones in the order they should be checked:
- If you are printing an PDF file, the file may contain some non-standard codes in it. Try printing it one page at a time.
- The file you are printing may have faulty print codes in it.
Check the Printer
Consult your printer manual if necessary as you go through these questions.
- Is the printer turned off or offline? ("Offline" means it is on but not accepting print jobs.)
- Check the printer's status display or lights to verify this. If it is off, turn it back on, wait for it to come back online. Check to make sure it is not displaying errors (or lights indicating a problem).
- Check the printer's power cable and printer cable and make sure they are firmly connected. (The printer cable may be a USB cable, a parallel cable, or a network cable.)
- Is there a paper jam? Check the printer's status display.
- Is the printer out of paper? Check the printer's status display.
- Is the printer out of ink? Check the printer's status display.
- Is the printer a network printer?
- If so, determine if other computers such as other Userful Desktops (not connected to the same computer with the problem) or a staff computer can print to it. If no other computers can print to it, the networked printer is likely disconnected from the network or its IP address has changed.
- Can you print a test page from the printer itself?
- Check that the printer itself is working by using the test print button(s) on the printer. If this test print does not work, there is a problem with your printer. Consult your printer manual for troubleshooting help, and contact the printer manufacturer for technical support.)
- Is there a problem with the printer cable itself?
- If all the above checks still do not solve the problem, try replacing the printer cable with another one to make sure the cable is not faulty. (The printer cable may be a USB cable, a parallel cable, or a network cable.)
Check the Print Queue
Follow the instructions in "Print Job Administration" to help check the following:
- Is the print job not appearing in the print queue?
If these troubleshooting steps fail to resolve the printing issue, please report the problem to Userful Support.