FAQs/Troubleshooting/Networking & Systems/Install Packages
Copyright © 2008-2010 . All rights reserved.
Q: How can I install other software on Userful Desktop?
- Also answered by this FAQ:
- How do I use the Yum Installer?
- How do I use the Install Packages tool?
- How can I manually update a software package?
A: Use the Install Packages tool.
The Install Packages tool in Administrator Mode is used to add and remove optional Userful Desktop software packages.
- Double-click on the
Advanced Toolsfolder icon on the desktop.
Updatesif you are updating a package that is already installed, or choose
Availableif you are looking for a new package. (We strongly recommend not selecting
Installed, since this allows you to remove packages. See "Removing Packages" section below.)
Refreshat the bottom right of the window. This will update software lists available from the selected repositories.
- Check the box next to each package to be installed. Be careful when choosing packages; make sure you understand what it is you are installing.
- Once you have selected all the necessary packages, click the
Add to Queuebutton at the lower right of the window.
- Click the
Process Queuebutton on the lower right of the window.
OKas required, and wait while the packages are downloaded and installed. You may wish to make sure that the automatic log-off feature is disabled while you are waiting for the install process to finish. You can check this by clicking on the timer just to the left of the clock at the bottom right of the screen.
- Repeat this process on every Userful Desktop computer that requires the additional software. (Not every station on multistation computers. Just one station per computer is necessary.)
WARNING: We do not recommend that you change the selected repositories. Do so only under the direction of Userful Support Staff.
To remove software packages added by yourself or another Userful Desktop Administrator, follow the above process but select
Installed instead of
Updates, then select the packages to remove and follow the rest of the steps above.
WARNING: Only remove packages previously added by yourself or another Userful Desktop administrator. If you accidentally remove a critical component, you may need to reinstall Userful Desktop.